Sunday, July 20, 2014

Allergies? Get a Dog and Take up Smoking!!

A few years ago I wrote a short post about allergies:
 http://sandrastaas.blogspot.com/2011/03/colmans-mustard-and-indian-chutney-and.html

I really can't stand the fatigue, the chills, the stuffed up nose, the pain around the eyes. Oh, woe is me!  I could even fall asleep standing up.

I was first told I had allergies back in 1984 when a doctor looked up my nostrils. Brave him! I'm so glad he did, however, for he did come up with a diagnosis. Prior to that, I had no clue why I was constantly sneezing, why my nose was always stuffed up, why I was cold, and why I felt weak. It was almost as bad as having the flu.

Well, that doctor back in 1984 sent me off for tests. Turns out I'm allergic to everything except for dog and tobacco!

I know, I hear you.  "Get a dog and take up smoking!"

Ha ha. If only it were that easy to get rid of allergies.

I was prescribed two little bottles of the antigens which were to give relief, whole relief and nothing but relief! I placed drops underneath my tongue for FIVE years before finally giving up.

I'm an expert on anti-histamines and decongestants. I really am. Yikes! I keep hoping I'll 'grow out' of the allergies, but I'm not. They always turn up at least four times a year without fail.

Want to know what I'm taking for my allergy symptoms? An antihistamine.



I was told to take antihistamines BEFORE I get the symptoms. Maybe I should. But, since I'm allergic to almost everything, I'd be taking antihistamines every day of the year. Do they work? Sometimes I think they do. But then, just when you feel relief, the very next day the symptoms return! Since I've been down that road all those years I know one's body gets accustomed to the medication, so I just change it. The above one is the generic form of Claritin. When it no longer works I then take the generic form of Allegra. The pharmacy people tell me the generic brands are just as good as the brand names. And, they're a lot cheaper.


I also take a decongestant when desperation sets it. This is the decongestant Sudafed, or maybe it's the generic form of it. Believe it or not it WORKS!! Yes, after just one day I can breathe better. But I don't think it's good to be taking this on a daily basis over a long period of time as it increases your blood pressure. I only take it when I'm desperate. Really desperate. Desperate enough because no air is going up my nostrils.


A nasal spray. Does it work? In the beginning it does. You're supposed to only take this nasal spray for three days. Any longer - and who knows what might happen?!  Maybe your nose will fall off! Oh no!  The problem is that, although it works, the three days are up before you know it and you have to stop taking it. Guess what happens then? The symptoms come right back!

Trying to avoid allergies altogether, I've been taking Quercetin.


It's supposed to be a natural anti-inflammatory.

I also take Turmeric, another natural anti-inflammatory.


And I take a saline nasal spray.


Nothing prevents the allergy symptoms. The best thing that has happened is the possible reduction of the severity of the symptoms.  

Och well. Any lessening of allergy symptoms is most welcome.  And, maybe I could get myself a wee dog. Not sure about taking up smoking, however.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.